A healthy mind and body, a keto diet is what is the need of the hour. Keto diet is becoming the ideal diet in recent times because of the benefits it is offering.
- What is a keto diet?
- Why a keto diet is important.
- Keto diet meals.
- The drawback of the keto diet.
If you also want to know about this amazing diet in detail, then you are in the right place. This article is a detailed guide on the keto diet and would offer you each and every detail about this diet, which you need to start before the diet.
So let’s dive in.
What is a keto diet?
As a first step, we would start our guide with the very basic thing, which is the keto diet. Basically, the ketogenic diet or more commonly known in its short form keto diet, is a diet in which the importance is on a high-fat food than on carbohydrate foods.
This means under the keto diet, you consume more high-fat food than carbohydrate food.
Let’s first understand the whole mechanism of acquiring energy in our body.
The main source of the energy from which our body gets the power to work is carbohydrates. Our main source of energy is carbohydrate foods such as potatoes, grains, desserts, etc., from which our body gets the energy to work.
When we consume carbohydrates, it breaks down into the glucose molecules in our body, from which the body cells of our body derive the energy to work.
Thus the main source of energy for our body is carbohydrates, whose primary function is to provide energy to our body.
Although there are many other nutrients also apart from carbohydrates, they have their own functions to perform like, protein is important for the muscles, water is important for keeping us hydrated, micronutrients like vitamins, minerals are important for growth for the development of the body.
And it is also important to note that no nutrient can replace each other’s function. So water can’t performs the function of a protein, and protein can’t performs the functions of the micronutrients.
But in a keto diet or ketogenic, we replace the roles played by carbohydrate and fat.
In the keto diet, we replace the functions played by the carbohydrate and fat and make fat the main source of energy instead of carbohydrate.
By this change, the metabolic state or system of our body changes completely. As our main source of energy is a carbohydrate, so our metabolic state is habitual of acquiring energy from carbohydrates. When carbohydrate breaks down into the glucose molecules, the metabolic system of the body receives energy from it and performs the functions of the body.
But in the keto diet, we consume more fat-rich food and restrict the consumption of carbohydrate food, and change this whole process. So, because of this new change, our metabolism changes and starts receiving energy from the fats molecules which are synthesized in the liver and produce ketones in the process called ketosis, from which the diet gets its name keto diet.
So liver and fats molecules become the new center for the production of energy instead of carbohydrate molecules.
So in the keto diet, we basically change the metabolic state of our body to get the desired benefits for our body.
Why a keto diet is important.
In the above section, we have discussed the keto diet. But here, this question becomes important. A keto diet is important, why we should switch our metabolic state and choose the keto diet.
And if you think so, then this section is worthy of your kind attention.
The Keto diet is becoming popular all around the world because of the health benefits it offers.
Benefits of the keto diet,
- The foremost benefit that the keto diet offers is to help in losing weight. Yes, you read it right, it helps in losing weight. Although in this diet you consume high-fat food items, it indeed helps you in losing the extra fat from your body. So you are judging the keto diet as a failure to lose weight. And it is proven scientifically also that the followers of the keto diet lose 2.2 times more weight than those who don’t follow the keto diet or follow some other diet.
The reason for this is that when you start consuming more fat-rich food then the carbohydrate food, then in the absence of carbohydrate, the body starts using the fat molecules for acquiring energy, and as a result, the consumed fat and also the stored fat in the body gets utilized in providing the energy to the body.
Also, in this diet, you restrict the amount of calorie intake, which further prevents the storage of the extra calories and fat in the body.
It is also noteworthy that when you restrict the amount of carbohydrate for your body, with the increase in the consumption of the fat-rich food you also have to increase the consumption of the protein-rich foods that helps in the development of the muscles and help in the reduction of extra fat and weight from the body.
- Prevention from diabetes. The next benefit it offers to its followers is the prevention of diabetes. According to studies, most of the world’s population is suffering from type 2 diabetes, which has excessive consumption of carbohydrates as the main factor of it.
When we consume carbohydrates, it breaks down in sugar and then further in the glucose molecules in the body. While glucose is used as a source of energy by the cells of the body, the sugar remains in the blood and increases the blood sugar level, ultimately resulting in type 2 diabetes.
Although it is true that one can suffer from diabetes when his pancreas stops secreting the hormone called insulin, it is also true at the same time that an excessive amount of sugar in the body is the main reason for that.
So when you restrict the consumption of carbohydrate food in your diet, then you automatically limit the amount of sugar in your body and prevent you from type 2 diabetes, which further causes many health problems.
- Prevention from heart diseases. Extra fat of the body is the main reason for heart diseases. According to researches, it is proven that an obese body is a home for the heart diseases like cardiovascular attacks or heart attacks, etc.
So when you start taking more fat-rich food than carbohydrate food, you automatically reduce the chances of heart diseases.
Also, in the keto diet meals, the level of Triglyceride and HDL cholesterol levels in the body improves, promoting heart health.
- Prevention from cancer. When you start the consumption of the keto diet, the foods that you consume not only prevent you from heart diseases and diabetes but also prevent you from the risk of cancer.
The diet has a hell good range of food items that are proven helpful in the reduction of cancer-causing factors and also in its treatment.
- Helpful in Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s is a disease that is observed mainly in aged people who cross the age limit of 50 years. But in recent times, even the younger generation is suffering from this disease.
In this disease, the person starts losing his ability to remember things. From forgetting the little, he starts forgetting important things like his personal details, and many such sorts of things he starts forgetting.
The disease is incurable, and even the advancement in the technological and health sectors are not able to provide a cure for it. The thing we can do is to make necessary changes in our life to prevent this disease.
And the keto diet can provide prevention from this disease. The followers of this diet have a low risk of Alzheimer’s disease, and even while suffering from this disease, this diet can help in the reduction of the symptoms.
- Prevention from Parkinson’s disease. The next benefit this diet offers is the prevention of Parkinson’s disease. This disease is again a disease commonly seen in aged people.
In this disease, a person starts losing his ability to balance the body and starts facing difficulty in coordinating properly, and he starts facing shaking of the body actions, stiffness, and difficulty in body actions.
Again like Alzheimer’s disease, we don’t have its cure till now, apart from taking measures for its prevention.
And the keto diet is a proven solution that can help in the prevention of this disease.
- Prevention from Epilepsy. It is a neurological disease that is boundless, and a person of any gender and age group can suffer from this.
In this disease, one behaves abnormally and starts having fits. It causes a sudden seize of the body and sometimes a complete loss of awareness of the actions that a person is doing.
And again, the keto diet is useful in the prevention of this disease, as we don’t have a cure for this disease. So, the only thing we can do is to take measures of prevention from this disease.
And the keto diet can be useful in the prevention of Epilepsy.
- Prevention from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It is a disease seen in the females after the beginning of the menstrual cycle. In this disease, females start having irregularities in their menstrual cycle, which sometimes leads to mood swings and other health problems.
The main cause of this disease is the increased level of sugar in the blood. So when you start a keto diet and restrict the number of carbohydrates in your meals, then at the same time, you are also controlling the blood sugar level of your body, which prevents you from this disease.
- Rapid healing from brain injury. Brain injuries are some of the most dangerous diseases one could face in their lifetime, that sometimes even end up in taking their lives. But if a person has survived a brain injury or has a less harmful brain injury, then a keto diet can be very useful in the fast healing of the injury.
As in the keto diet, the energy for the functions of the body is produced in the liver in the form of ketones, which is directly sent to the brain and thus helps in the fast recovery of the brain.
So these are some of the amazing benefits that the keto diet offers to its followers, and also one of the reasons contributing to the popularity of this diet throughout the world, making it a trend among the fitness freak people.
Keto diet meals.
This is the best diet that one can follow to acquire so many health benefits. And after discussing the keto diet and its benefits, now it’s time to move forward with the keto diet meals that you can adopt in your keto diet and achieve the health benefits it offers.
Best keto diet meals,
- Keto stuffed cabbage. Being a vegetarian and at the same time following the keto diet is not easy. But with this dish, you can very easily follow both and can have the benefits of the keto diet.
- Although in the keto diet, more emphasis is laid on the high-fat foods that generally include the non – vegetarian foods such as chicken, mutton, beef, etc. but with this dish, even the vegetarian one can easily follow the keto diet.
- As the name suggests, keto stuffed cabbage is the main ingredient of the dish, which can be prepared very easily and quickly and can be taken as a breakfast diet meal, giving you energy for the whole day.
- Keto beef and cabbage. Beef and cabbage both form a very important part of the keto diet and are ideal for the non – vegetarians. Both the ingredients of this dish are high in fat and low in carbohydrates, and you can consume it anytime and anywhere, as a lunch or as a dinner.
- Keto fried chicken. Again in the list of best keto diet meals, we have a non – vegetarian dish that is keto fried chicken. Chicken is a good source of fat and is the best food under the keto diet meal. And the most important thing is that chicken is not only a good source of fat but also protein.
- For preparing this dish, you only have to fry the chicken and then serve with any dip or sauce of your choice like tomato sauce. After being served, it is very hard to resist and gives the best nourishment.
- Keto salad of broccoli. Having more non – vegetarian items in our list of best keto diet meals doesn’t mean that there are not sufficient options for vegetarians. The next dish on the list is a vegetarian salad, which can be prepared very easily and quickly.
- This keto-friendly salad is fully packed with the nutrients like minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants and gives you the feeling of fullness, and can be prepared from the vegetables like cabbage, carrots, etc., with the main ingredient broccoli.
- And to add some more taste and interest to the salad, you can add some more spices and lemon juice to the salad.
- Keto meatballs. Following the keto diet doesn’t make you a bore at all, and even with the keto diet, you can enjoy a healthy life with a happy and interesting life at the same time. With this dish, you can make your keto diet more interesting and tempting, which in turn motivates you to follow this diet with more interest.
- To prepare this dish, you have to only prepare some balls from the chicken and grill them or fry them as they suit you, and serve them as an excellent weekend party dish.
- Keto tacos. Taco is a food item having its origin in the Mexican land and because globalization has become very popular all over the world.
- In the keto diet, we have transformed this dish according to our requirements. This dish can be prepared very quickly, with lots of flavors and spices, and also you can make the chips from any cereal you want and then can fill it with fillings as per your mood and taste.
- Keto meatloaf. We can’t deny the fact that a keto diet is mainly focused around the non – vegetarian food items because they are rich in fat and provide many more nutrients like protein, iron, phosphorus, etc.
- This dish is perhaps the easiest dish in the list which can be prepared by using any flour for binding, and having almond flour as the best flour to bind, and adding some bacon and soy sauce would take the dish further in the taste, and offers you a tangy, and spicy taste.
- This dish is perfect for the non – vegetarians and is packed with nutrients like fat, protein, minerals, and iron and can be consumed in breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Boiled Salmon. Seafood can be considered as the best source of fat and protein under the keto diet meals, being a perfect seafood dish. Apart from providing nutrients like fat and protein, salmon also provide nutrients like vitamin B12, minerals such as potassium, selenium, antioxidant astaxanthin, fatty acids, and omega – 3.
- To prepare this dish, you have to boil the salmon fish and sauce it with tomatoes and lime juice with some spices and flavors.
- Keto chicken soup. Soup is a perfect dish that has its place in nearly all diets, ranging from vegetarian to non – vegetarian and especially in the keto diet. Soup is the easiest dish that can be prepared in just minutes and gives the best nourishment and most out of the keto diet.
The drawback of the keto diet.
Yes, although this diet is the best diet in terms of weight loss and health benefits, but yet it has a drawback, which is, however, is very normal and can be treated very well.
As in the keto diet, we change the metabolic state of our body, we tend to face some symptoms of that, and that is a very normal thing. When our body and metabolic state are habitual of something, and we replace it with some other thing, it is natural that we face some of the side effects of that.
And the same happens in this diet.
In this diet, we change our metabolic state and main source of energy. From a carbohydrate-oriented source of energy, we change our metabolic state to a fat oriented source of energy, and that causes certain changes in the body.
These symptoms, commonly known as the keto flu. These symptoms or the keto flu includes the problems like headache, weakness, irritation, constipation, nausea, and vomiting, with many other problems like dehydration, sleeping problems, and uncertainty reduction in the bone density but for a short period of time, and irregularity in the menstrual cycles in females.
If in the beginning you also face these problems then don’t worry, they will disappear sometime on their own and don’t cause much harm to you.
But if they become worse and remain persistent, then you need to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
So follow this diet wisely and get benefitted from the keto diet.
So, we see here about the keto diet and the benefits it offers.
In the modern world, with the advancement in science and the health sector, we have so many new techniques and strategies to achieve the goals we want to achieve. Now there is not a single path from which we can attain our goals.
And that can be the best part of it. As now we have so many paths to complete our journey, we can choose among them as per our convenience and can achieve the desired goals.
A keto diet is one such path among them through which we can have most of the health benefits with the foremost benefit of losing the extra weight, fat, and calories.
So choose the keto diet for all these health benefits and attain your desired goals.