Are you looking for a different and effective way to lose weight and also want prevention from diseases? If your answer is yes, then you have landed on the right page. This article is all about how to start a keto diet, one such different and effective way by which you can lose weight very effectively and will also prevent yourself from diseases.
So to begin with, the keto diet or the Ketogenic diet is such a sort of diet in which you would take low – carbohydrates and high-fat food.
In this diet, you have to cut your carbohydrates and have to take more fat than before.
It is named Ketogenic or keto diet is when you take in more fats than carbohydrates than your body reaches in a different metabolic state, which is called ketosis.
In this system, the fat is converted into ketones in the liver, which provides energy to the brain.
You can understand this by an example. Normally the carbohydrate that we intake provides energy to the body after converting to glucose.
But when you don’t take carbohydrates and instead start taking more fats than the body begins using that fat as a main source of energy, and that fat is converted into ketones in the liver, which becomes a fuel molecule that provides the energy required for the activities of the body.
So your main source of energy becomes the fats instead of carbohydrates.
So let’s start “how to start a keto diet guide.”
Why should you know how to start a keto diet?
You may be thinking about why you should know about how to start a keto diet. In what way it is not similar to other types of diet.
If so, then you are not aware of the benefits of this diet until you know. This diet not only changes your metabolic state but also offers you many advantages apart from reducing your weight.
Want to know all about them.
So let’s dive in.
- The foremost benefit of switching this diet is that it helps you to lose weight very quickly. According to researches, this diet is more beneficial than any other low – fat diet.
- Studies have shown that the people with a keto diet lose 2.2 times more weight than being on a diet that restricts calories intake, and three times more weight than any other diet.
- As in this diet, you rely mainly on fats for the energy so your body would burn more fat than ever before, and you would lose more weight.
- Also, the ketones that are produced would reduce the blood sugar level in the body that is also beneficial in losing weight.
- One more reason could be the increase in the amount of protein. In this diet, you almost cut the intake of carbohydrates drastically, intake protein in moderate amounts, and fats in high amounts. And composition will lead to a reduction in extra fat of the body.
- It is beneficial in diabetes. Diabetes is a deficiency of the body when the pancreas, which secretes insulin, stops secreting.
- Insulin is the hormone that helps in the absorption of the sugar in the blood.
- When insulin is produced sufficiently, then the sugar in the blood doesn’t get absorbed, and the level of sugar starts increasing in the blood, which is the main reason for diabetes.
- This diabetes is type 2 diabetes, which, in many cases, is the reason for weight gain.
- When you start a keto diet, you begin taking more fats than carbohydrates, which is the source of sugar in the body.
- So automatically, your body has less sugar in the body, and also this diet would further lower the existence of sugar in the blood.
- According to studies, almost 75% of people have better insulin and lower blood sugar levels when they start the keto diet, and nearly 95% of people stop taking diabetic medication.
- So this diet not only helps you to lose weight but also to control your diabetes and which in turn prevents you from many diseases that are caused by diabetes-like obesity, disorders of eyes, etc.
- Prevents heart diseases. The main reason for heart disease is extra weight and increased blood sugar level.
- In this diet, the fat is burned more rapidly in order to provide energy to the body.
- It improves the level of Triglyceride and HDL cholesterol in the body. All these as a whole prevents the risk of heart diseases like blockage, high cholesterol, etc.
- It lowers the risk of cancer. It is observed taking this diet would prevent the growth of cancer-causing tumors in the body, which not only prevents cancer but also helps you in fighting with it.
- It helps in Alzheimer’s disease. In Alzheimer’s, the patient loses its sense of memorizing things.
- Starting from small things, it would be led to a complete loss of memory.
- The persons suffering from this disease would forget their name, their other information for sometimes and further even can forget about themselves completely.
- It is seen that this diet would reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slow its progress.
- It helps in Epilepsy. It is a neurological disease in which a person would start behaving abnormally.
- It causes sudden seizures and even a complete loss of awareness of what he or she is doing. Taking this diet would help children by reducing seizures.
- Prevention from Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s is a disease in which a person starts facing shaking, stiffness, and difficulty in body actions. He would not be able to balance or coordinate properly.
- According to researches, this diet would reduce the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. This is a feminine disease in which women face irregularities in menstrual cycles.
- This diet lowers the insulin level, and that helps in the prevention of this disease.
- Fast recovery from brain injuries. In a keto diet that ketones that are produced by the liver provide energy to the brain, which becomes very important in healing from a brain injury.
- So if you have a brain injury, then with the consultation of a doctor, you can start this diet to heal your damage quickly.
So these are the main reasons for which you must have the knowledge of how to start a keto diet.
How to start a keto diet.
After we have discussed the benefits of the keto diet, let’s now move forward for the guide on how to start a keto diet. Or we can also say what foods we have taken in the keto diet.
Below are some of the foods that you can take in the keto diet,
- Seafood. It is ideal for a keto diet. Seafood is low in carbohydrates and high in protein and fats. Fishes like salmon are rich in vitamin B, potassium, and selenium, and other fishes like sardines and mackerel have fatty acids, omega – 3 fats, which help lower the insulin level in the body. In a keto diet, it is advisable to take two times seafood in a week.
- Vegetables that are low in carbohydrates. If we leave potatoes, beets, and yams, which are high in carbohydrates, other vegetables are low in carbohydrates but high in other nutrients like vitamin C, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants that are very advantageous for the body. Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and kale can even reduce the risk of cancer and heart diseases. So they will cut the amount of carbohydrates and will provide many other nutrients that sustain your body.
- Cheese. The first thing that we get in our mind after hearing the word ‘cheese’ is fat. But as in a keto diet, our main focus is on taking more fats, so it is ideal for this diet. There are many types of cheese that are available in the market, and all of them have low carbohydrates and high in fats, some even have protein. The main component of cheese that helps in reducing fat from the body is conjugated linoleic acid. And as a whole, the cheese will help you in gaining muscle mass, prevention from heart diseases, strength, and many other benefits.
- Avocados. Avocado is termed as a superfood that is very healthy. Its nutritional composition is mainly composed of seven types of fiber, many types of vitamins, minerals, and protein. It also has a high level of potassium that is very important in the keto diet. Also, consuming avocados regularly helps in balancing the level of cholesterol and Triglyceride, which will prevent heart diseases.
- Eggs. Eggs are an incredible food with many nutrients as it has less than 1% of carbohydrates, so it is suitable for a ketogenic diet. Eggs have proteins, many vitamins like vitamin E, antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin, high amount of cholesterol, fiber, and water. All of these are good in preventing diseases and will reduce your weight and also help in muscle gain.
- Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is different from ordinary yogurt as it has almost double the protein than it. It is high in protein and fats and hence is ideal for a keto diet. The main benefit of this food is that it gives the feeling of fullness, which prevents further hunger, and will ultimately reduce your weight. Also, it helps in gaining muscle mass and thus is very popular among athletes and gym-going persons.
- Nuts. Nuts are the ideal foods under the keto diet. They are very healthy, high in fat and low in carbohydrates, and fiber. Nuts like almonds, cashews, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, brazil nuts have many more nutrients like antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Apart from reducing fat in the body, they are also helpful in preventing heart diseases, cancers, depression, and many other chronic diseases.
- Cream and butter. Both are included in the keto diet as they are high in fats. They have fewer carbohydrates and have fatty acids and proteins that will help in reducing weight and protection from diseases.
What foods to avoid in the keto diet.
In this how to start a keto diet guide, so far, we have discussed what foods we have taken in our guide.
But with this, we also have to avoid many food items from our diet that are high in carbohydrates, so that we can cut our carbohydrate amount.
There are many foods that we have to avoid like
- Foods with a high amount of added sugar like soda, fruit juices, cake, ice creams, etc.
- Grains that have starch like wheat, rice, etc. They are high in starch, which is a form of carbohydrates.
- Fruits. Some fruits, except berries, have carbohydrates, so you have to avoid them.
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol is high in carbohydrates and other nutrients and thus is the cause of extra weight.
- Also, alcohol consumption beyond the limit is injurious to health as they can cause liver damage, and many other damages to the body.
These are some of the main food items that you have to avoid while having a keto diet.
Side effects of the keto diet.
In a keto diet, the source of energy shifts from carbohydrate to fats that sometimes leads to many side effects that you have to face in the beginning.
As the state of metabolism also changes, so you have to face many common side effects, but if they pertain, then you have to consult a doctor.
Some of the main side effects are,
- Keto flu. The first side effect that you would face is keto flu. It happens when you have just started the diet. The symptoms are headache, weakness, irritation, constipation, nausea, and vomiting.
- Dehydration. After starting the fats as a source of energy, the liver produces ketones through which it flows out the extra fat with the urine. So you might be dehydrated because of an increase in urination.
- There are many other health issues that you would face like sleep issues, reduction in bone density, irregularity in the menstrual cycle, etc.
Although these are only the side effects, which are common as your body is just starting adapting according to the new diet.
Till now, the body is adaptive to carbohydrates as a source of energy, and suddenly this source of energy to fats would disturb the working of the body for some till when it does not get adapted to the new diet.
And after your body gets adapted to a new diet, it will only help you reduce weight, protect from heart diseases, and many other diseases.
But yes, if you have many serious side effects or they do not get well after some time, then you have to consult a doctor.
As Joseph Pilates says, “physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness.”
And one big obstacle in this way is the extra fat or obesity that we would face once in our life.
So to make your life happy, you have to maintain a healthy body. And the ketogenic diet would be ideal for you.
Keto diet not only sheds away your excess weight but also protects from many diseases, so if you want a healthy diet, then you should try this diet.
But before starting the keto diet, you have to consult some professional dietician that would help you in prescribing a keto diet according to your body and need.
- What are the types of keto diet?
There are many types of the keto diet,
- Standard ketogenic diet (SKD).
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD).
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD).
- High – protein ketogenic diet.
These are the main types of ketogenic diets that have different characteristics and are for different purposes.
And what keto diet is suitable for you is very important to know, and for that, you have to consult a dietician that would prescribe an appropriate keto diet according to your requirements.
- What are keto snacks?
In an ideal diet with proper meals, snacks are also included, which feeds you between your meals and serves the purpose for which you are adopting that diet.
In the same manner, the keto diet also has some snacks that include cheese, olives, dark chocolates, cocoa powder, and many other foods items.
- Are there keto-friendly outlets available?
Yes, with the popularity of the keto diet, many outlets, restaurants have made themselves keto-friendly and have menu and dishes that are ketogenic.
At the same time, they also serve ordinary food items.
So you can also eat outside while having a keto diet without the tension of your diet.